Sunday, 20 October 2013

I dig that Beat

Hello! I'm back from an unofficial blogging break. Sometimes life just gets busy and unfortunately for me blogging is the first thing to fall by the wayside when that happens.

Today I am pondering Beatnik style. The much caricatured trend was more than just bongo drums, books, black turtlenecks, dark glasses, poetry and Audrey Heburn in Funny Face, although they are all elements of the style that love whether or not stereotypical.

The Beat Generation; from the late 1940s non-sensical Be-Bop, and the non Conformist youth as featured in On the Road, to Ginsberg and jazz poetry, the movement thrived until the 1960s.  Whether you think the movement was pretentious or jut a bit of fun like any youthful phase, there's no denying that it had a certain classic style that today is so easily revived and looks sooooo good. I love the idea of rebelling against the structured look of the 40s and 50s and just relaxing everything; clothes, hair make up, and making everything really simple. I think its such a sexy look.

These images are from my Pinterest board 'Beatnik Baby'



I was inspired to do my own little Beatnik shoot.  I hope you like

 

Loafers: Bass
Roll neck sweater: Marks and Spencer
Cord Pedal Pushers: Freddies of Pinewood

8 comments:

  1. Love it!, your photos are amazing.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super sweet! I think that style and that movement was marvelous as well. I love the simplicity of it all and the comfort of the look as well. You look fantastic! Now its time for you to recite a poem! hehe xox www.avintagenerd.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fantastic! I was so, so into the Beats when I was a teenager (if you'd opened up my purse or backpack at random between the ages of 15 and 18, in particular, chances are you would have found at least one book by a Beat generation writer), yet haven't actually channeled them all that often in my vintage attire. Seeing you rock the style so superbly makes me think that it's high time I did for a photo shoot of my own. Thank you for the stylish reminder!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great 'day off' look for 40s and 50s. You really suit it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. total inspiring outfit ... sadly those pants never fit me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The entire post is done magnificently, dear.
    You held on to the theme (one of the themes I hold dear). There's truly something poetic about the very image of a Beatnik, isn't there? :)

    Hugs.
    Marija

    ReplyDelete